In the Current scenario financial documents/ certificates attested by third person misrepresenting themselves as CA Members are misleading the Authorities and stakeholder. Institute is also receiving number of complaints of forged signatures. To curb/check the malpractices, the Professional Development Committee of ICAI has implemented an innovative concept of UDIN i.e. this Number to secure the certificates/documents attested/certified by Practicing Chartered Accountants which will be made mandatory with effect from 1st January, 2019.
Full time Practicing CAs can register them by visiting at https://udin.icai.org/ and generate UDIN by registering the certificates/documents attested/certified by them.
To generate UDIN, Members are required to provide only 3-5 essential key fields of the certificate/ document which is being attested and there is no need to upload it.
Through Unique Document Identification Number (UDIN) and the main key fields as mentioned by CAs, the Regulators/Banks/third parties will be able to check the authenticity of the documents/reports/certificate. Further, UDIN portal would help in tracing forged/wrong documents prepared by any third person misrepresenting himself as a Chartered Accountant, as any person other than Chartered Accountant will not be able to upload the documents.
For Process and related Frequently-Asked Questions, please visit https://udin.icai.org/ . For any other further assistance/clarification, you may reach us at 011–30110411/444 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some Details About UDIN
As per the latest ICAI notification, ICAI has launched a new system to generate a new unique identification Number to keep track and records of attestations and certifications done by CAs.
It will help the Institute (ICAI) to track all the certifications and also make fake certifications / third part certifications harder to get.
This action has been taken after recent certifications in case of PNB (Punjab National Bank ) Scam and other major scams which has come under the light recently.
All details about the new UDIN system:
- What is the Unique Document Identification Number (UDIN)?It is a unique number, which will be generated by the system for every document certified/ attested by a Chartered Accountant and registered with the UDIN portal available at https://udin.icai.org/.
- What is the Algorithm of UDIN? The algorithm of UDIN comprises of the following:1. The Membership Number of the Member (CA) attesting the document/certificate.
2. The Date (dd/mm/yy) when the certificate is issued.
3. The Document Serial Number allotted automatically by the system.
- Why UDIN?Some of the third person attested/certified the financial statements and documents, in lieu of Chartered Accountants. As these statements are being relied upon by the authorities as true & fair statements and certificates, UDIN can be generated by a practicing CA by registering his/her documents/ certificates on UDIN Portal for verification.
- Who can generate UDIN?A practicing Chartered Accountant can generate a UDIN (Unique Document Identification Number) for certificate/ document attested by him either in an individual capacity or as a partner.
- Whether UDIN is compulsory for the CA members of ICAI for each certification done?At present, this facility is recommendatory. But ICAI is mulling to make the same mandatory in near future, so as to curb/check the menace of fake or forged documents.
- Where Certificate number can cross check as so indicated is valid?Also, under the new system, any person can check the validity of the certificate issued by entering the UDIN and captcha given on the portal. The Certificate Number can be cross checked at https://udin.icai.org?mode=searchudin
- How many numbers of UDINs can be generated by a CA? Is there any limit?There is no restriction on the number of (Unique Documents Identification Number ) UDINs to be generated by a CA.
- Can a UDIN Certificate number once generated be revoked or canceled?It is once generated can be withdrawn or cancelled with narration. So if any user searches this UDIN, appropriate narration indicated by Member with the date of revoke will be displayed for reference.
- What is the validity of a UDIN certificate on the portal for viewing by a third party?As of now, there is no time limit.
- Is UDIN Compulsory required to be registered for the search?Yes, UDIN is available for search by the end user only after registration.
- What are the main key values and are they necessary?While registering the certificate for generation of Unique Document Identification Number, the member has to compulsorily provide Key values (minimum three and maximum five),which are found in the document or certificate generated.These main Key values can be any financial figure taken from the attested statement or certificate such as Turnover Net profit, Utilization amount, Import amount, Export amount, Duty refund, Refund, Net worth, Profitability, Revenue, Input tax credit, Loan amount, Total Assets, Net owned funds, Capital To Risk Asset Ratio (CRAR), Statutory Liquidity Ratio, Gross fixed assets, Misc. expenditure, Net loss, Total capital investment, Sanction amount, Other (please specify any key words),etc.
- Is online generation of UDIN is Compulsory? Or, if the UDIN is generated offline, can the same be entered in backdate?Yes, it is compulsory that the numbers to be generated online only.
- How will the UDIN appear on the documents?Generated UDIN would be displayed as watermarked on the document(s) else the UDIN can be mentioned on the document(s)using a pen.“List UDIN' menu can be used to print the UDIN.
- Can as per the category of the area of certificate UDIN be generated?Yes, UDIN certificate can be generated in the specific area of the certificate, like Companies Act, Income-tax Act, Goods & Service Tax Act, banks, finance and capital market, public finance and government accounting, etc,.
- Is any correction possible in case incorrect information such as client reference code/number, Document Issued Under, Document Description, Date of Document, Keywords within the document, etc., has been submitted?No change/correction is possible in the data already registered by a Chartered Accountant in the online system. Therefore, members are requested to thoroughly check and verify the details in preview option before submission of their application. Information/details filled in can be edited/ modified any number of times before the submission. But once UDIN is submitted, it cannot be edited.
- What will happens if while registering on UDIN Portal, the information is not accepted or the password is not sent?Credentials do not match with the database as maintained by the regional offices. Most probably, the details maintained does not have the correct email ID or mobile number, or the regional offices may have entered the same wrongly.
For example, providing space before the email IDs, entering multiple email IDs in one field etc.
You may reach the Professional Development Committee Department at (011) 3011 0444, 0444 or by writing to email@example.com For all issues relating to the data regarding enrollment dates, DOB, phone number corrections, email IDs etc., please get in touch with the respective regional offices.
To register on UDIN portal, Please follow the below given steps:
Step 1: Enter the homepage https://udin.icai.org
Step 2: Click on “first time sign up” Button.
An OTP will be sent to you on mobile number and email id, as registered with the ICAI.
Step 4: Enter OTP received on mobile number and e mail id and click “Continue”, you will receive username and system generated password at the mobile and email, as registered with the ICAI.
Go to the link
https://udin.icai.org/?mode=login and Enter your Membership No, Password and click “Login”
2. How to Generate UDIN
- After login, click “Generate UDIN”
- Enter details such as, your Client ReferenceCode/Number, Document Issued, Document Description, Date of Document, Keywords/Values (minimum three) with in the document and click
- the button “Send OTP”. Firm Registration Number (FRN) is Optional.
- An OTP will be sent to you at the mobile number and email id, as registered with the ICAI.
- Enter OTP received and click the button “Preview”. You will see the details/data you have entered for generating the UDIN.
- If there is any change in the content or details, you should click the button “Back” or else click the button
- A Unique Document Identification Number (UDIN ) will be generated and you can use that UDIN on the document for which it has been generated
Unique Document Identification Number (UDIN) that have been generated would be displayed as watermarked on document(s) else the UDIN can be mentioned on the document(s) using a pen. “List UDIN” Button given on the menu can be used to print the UDIN given in the list that were previously generated.
Search & Verify Documents
Unique Document Number that have been generated can be searched on the criteria viz. UDIN, FRN, Document Issued Under, Date of Document, Client Reference Code, and Document Status. “Search” menu can be used to search the UDIN.